The International Chiropractors Association (ICA), which is the second largest chiropractic organization in the United States, represents chiropractors who advocate subluxation-based chiropractic. During the early 1970s, I collected six pamphlets that the ICA issued to explain its views to patients:
- Health Is Natural claimed that (a) every organ and cell receives its supply of “nerve energy” from the brain, (b) this energy activates and regulates body function (c) misaligned (“subluxated”) vertebrae interrupt the proper flow of nerve energy between the brain and affected body parts, (d) chiropractors detect subluxations and adjust the spine to correct them, and (e) this restores the normal flow of nerve energy, which restores the person’s health.
- Your Child’s Health claimed that active children are likely to experience “falls, jolts, jars, and sprains” that frequently produce spinal subluxations.
- Stay Healthy Naturally claimed that “often only the spine stands between a person and good health.”
- Chiropractic: Natural Means to Good Health claimed that “chiropractors are specially trained to keep your spine in alignment.”
- Why the Spine Is Important to Patient Health asserted that “a thorough analysis and checkup should be made on every individual at regular intervals.”
- Diabetes / Chiropractic claimed that diabetes could be caused by a spinal misalignment (subluxation) and corrected by spinal adjustment.
None of the above notions are accepted by the scientific medical community. The diabetes claim is particularly egregious. Click here to read the full text of these pamphlets.