Do you know which of the following statements are true and which are false? After you judge the entire list, click on the “Answers to Quiz” hyperlink.
- 1. Everyone should have a complete physical every year or two.
- 2. Fluoride toothpaste works so well that water fluoridation is no longer important.
- 3. It is difficult for busy people to eat a balanced diet.
- 4. People intelligent enough to graduate from college are unlikely to be victimized by quackery.
- 5. Accreditation of a school indicates that a regulatory agency considers its teachings sound.
- 6. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
- 7. Sugar is a major cause of hyperactivity and other childhood behavioral problems.
- 8. No special training is legally required to offer counseling to the public.
- 9. Taking antioxidant vitamins has been proved to protect against heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
- 10. Homeopathic remedies are a safe and effective alternative to many drugs that doctors prescribe.
- 11. Taking large daily doses of vitamin C can cut the incidence of colds in half.
- 12. People over age 21 should have their blood cholesterol level checked every year.
- 13. The Postal Service screens many ads for mail-order health products before they are published.
- 14. The American Medical Association can revoke the license of a doctor who is practicing improperly.
- 15. Recent government reports indicate that the best person to consult for back pain is a chiropractor.
- 16. Most health-food retailers are well informed about the products they sell.
- 17. Protein or amino acid supplements help bodybuilders and other athletes improve their performance.
- 18. The emergency room of a nonprofit hospital is a relatively inexpensive place to get medical care.
- 19. Natural cancer cures are being suppressed because drug companies don’t want competition.
- 20. Most health-related books and magazine articles undergo expert prepublication review.
From: Barrett S et al. Consumer Health: A Guide to Intelligent Decisions, sixth edition, Brown & Benchmark (McGraw-Hill) 1997. Additional questions will be posted from time to time.