We will be happy to answer questions related to health frauds, quackery, and consumer decision-making. Due to heavy volume, we are currently able to answer only 25% of those received. This page indexes answers we have posted to Quackwatch.
Some questions we receive are readily answerable by articles posted to this site. Before submitting a question, please search to see whether Quackwatch already contains the information you want. Also:
- Before sending any question about herbs, dietary supplements, or hormones, please check our supplement/herb index page to see whether an article on this topic is available.
- Before asking about a chain e-mail letter, please visit Quackwatch’s “urban legends” index and the sites of David Emery, and the San Fernando Valley Folklore Society.
- When writing to us, please indicate how you found our Web site.
Answers to FAQs
- Abortion and breast cancer: Is there a link? (link to LookSmart)
- Aluminum: Do aluminum cooking utensils pose any risk? (link to Health Canada)
- Alternative methods: Do any of them work? (posted 12/20/98)
- Aspartame: What’s the scoop? (updated 9/14/01)
- Board certification: How can we determine whether it is legitimate? (posted 7/28/98]
- Bromelain from pineapples: Can it help me lose weight? (posted 10/18/99)
- Cancer: Can any treatment strengthen the immune system? (updated 1/21/08)
- Chitosan: Can it help to control weight? (updated 5/13/03)
- Chiropractic Questions and Answers (link to Chirobase)
- Circumcision: What’s the latest information? (updated 11/6/08)
- Cryonics: Is it feasible? (posted 9/2/01)
- Juice Plus+: Does using it make sense? (updated 7/2/06)
- Ketogenic diet for epilepsy: Does it make sense? (posted 2/10/98)
- Lactation: Can herbs help induce it? (posted 6/12/99)
- Magnet therapy: How can I evaluate the claims? (updated 2/29/08)
- Mucoid plaque: What is it? (posted 1/7/98)
- “Nutritional Support”: What Does This Term Mean? (to be posted)
- Osteopaths: What’s your opinion? (updated 8/18/03)
- Physician credentials: How can I check them? (updated 9/20/04)
- St. John’s wort: How safe and effective is it? (updated 7/31/2010)
- Tampons: Should women be worried? (updated 12/19/99)
- Ultrafast CT screening: Does it make sense? (posted 3/22/02)
- Why do some of your articles lack references? (posted 5/15/98)
This page was revised on May 26, 2011.